5-HTP, the Amino Acid that Packs a Mighty Punch!
Updated: Apr 21
What is 5-HTP?
5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is an amino acid that serves as a precursor for the biosynthesis of serotonin and melatonin in the brain from the amino acid tryptophan.
Currently, depression is thought to caused (at least partially) by having low levels of serotonin in the brain. 5-HTP in supplement form is extracted from the plant Griffonia Simplicifolia, an African shrub.
Primary Benefits of 5-HTP
1) Depression – Clinical studies have shown that 5-HTP alleviates depression. The antidepressant effects of 5-HTP have been comparable to those of some conventional antidepressants.
2) Panic Attacks and Anxiety. Clinical trials have shown that herbal extracts of 5-HTP activate GABA receptors or increase GABA levels, promoting a sense of relaxation and decreased anxiety.
3) Appetite, Cravings, and Weight Loss. Carbohydrates increase serotonin levels in the brain. Supplementing with 5-HTP can mitigate carbohydrate craving and appetite; thus, it could help with adherence to dietary interventions and weight loss.
4) Migraine and Headache - The exact cause of migraines is still unknown, but many researchers and doctors now believe that low serotonin is a root cause. To that end, many migraine medications increase serotonin, and 5-HTP has been found to decrease the frequency of migraine attacks when used regularly.
5) Sleep. 5-HTP produces serotonin, which can be converted into the hormone melatonin. Melatonin plays an important role in regulating sleep. Its levels begin to rise in the evening to promote sleep and fall in the morning to help wake you up. Therefore, supplementing with 5-HTP may promote sleep by increasing melatonin production in your body.
Elixir Compounding Pharmacy specialises in Advanced Nutrient Therapy. If you or a loved one are struggling your health and wellbeing, contact Elixir today. We offer complementary face-to-face and phone consultations where we can assess symptoms and recommend a tailored advanced nutrient treatment protocol.